For Those Who Wish to Study in the United States: F-1 Visa

The U.S. offers a variety of options for foreign nationals interested in pursuing an academic education or language training program that results in a diploma, degree or certificate.  In addition to competitive academic curricula, studying in the U.S. gives international students opportunities to understand and experience culture in the U.S., which contributes to personal growth and development when they return to their home country.

Foreign nationals who want to study in the U.S. may apply for the F-1 visa. Although the J-1 and M-1 visas are sometimes used, most foreign students enter the U.S. in F-1 status.  Foreign nationals interested in pursuing the F-1 visa must first enroll in a USCIS approved academic educational program on a full-time basis. The academic institution will then initiate the necessary paperwork to enable a foreign student to obtain an F-1 visa.

F-1 students may also obtain work authorization in the U.S. depending on the length of their academic curriculum.  Spouses and unmarried children under age 21 may accompany or join the F-1 student to the U.S. in F-2 dependent status but they are not permitted to work.  Children are permitted to attend school (kindergarten to 12th grade).  Spouses may take recreational and avocational courses but not full-course studies.

Looking for more information about the F-1 Visa? Contact our office through out website at


Tags: , , ,

About Gokey Immigration Law

The Gokey Immigration Law Office engages exclusively in the practice of immigration law. The firm successfully represents businesses and individual clients throughout the United States and abroad. Our business clients come from a wide variety of fields, including information technology, biotech, the medical field and academic institutions, to manufacturers, investors, contractors, dairy farms and sports teams. Our full range of immigration law services includes nonimmigrant business visas (B1,H-1B,L-1,E-2,TN and others), as well as permanent residency (green cards) based on employment (EB-1,EB-2,EB-3), investment (EB-5), and family ties (spouse, fiancé, relatives). We also advise businesses on work authorization issues, and assist individuals with naturalization. Our goal is to reduce the stress and uncertainty of immigration process by helping our clients with expert advice and a rapid, reliable, predictable process. We offer an open, accessible law firm, ready to assist with your employee’s or family member’s immigration needs. Our satisfaction arises from helping businesses grow through immigration, helping individuals obtain employment in a new country, and helping individuals and families reunite with their loved ones. We welcome any inquiries you may have regarding our services. If you need assistance or would like to schedule a consultation, please visit our website at

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: